Too fast to live

Just because I am scooter mad, doesn't mean I don't like something with a bit more va va room, Oh yes.... I do... I really really do.

My "Little Bastard" the Porsche Boxster panders to the last remaining vestige of the spirit of James Dean in me. Okay, okay Dean died in his car, the only thing about him that wasn't cool. But he loved what he did, he took his career and his cars seriously, he lived fast and died young.

I 've always loved driving "Al Fresco" sans roof, or on two wheels if possible and this "Hairdresser's Porsche" suits me right down to the pedal. Don't care about the looks and comments I get from white van man at the lights, I mean he's in a dirty van right? This mid-engined roller skate is an homage to the tiny racing roadster Porsches of the 50s & 60s and when I strap in I am there with the rebel. The fact that Porsche marketed this car with the line: "you can fit your golf clubs in the boot" - (which you can),  made people like me stay away for years. It was only when I actually drove one that I realised that the little road rat can make anyone drive like a hero. I won't go into why, google it, it just does. And I can get my City Scooter in the boot.

Among my friends are a hardcore of petrol-related obsessionists who live for driving cars, racing cars and spending as much money on fossil fuel as possible, no matter what is drinking it, one particular blood brother lives for internal combustion, be it a lawnmower a Shelby Mustang or a Lamborghini. I could say I was a petrolhead too but that's not strictly true, it's wheels and the exhilaration of speed that I really love, not petrol. From the first rusty buckled old pram wheel that I fixed to my wooden crate Go-Kart (that went like stink) and the lush Schwalbes on my city scooter to my beautiful "little bastard". Rubber rules.

Hunter S Thompson said: “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

So that's it then, a grey-haired, middle-aged silver fox's last chance Texaco, I'll take that, as long as I can take my scooter.


Comments

Popular Posts