This is not a sausage

I have a lovely friend who texts me at eleven minutes past eleven o'clock on a regular basis (just to remind me that she is thinking of me, bless her). She caught my disease, not one of the bad ones, just the 11:11 Disease. 

Let me explain - and there must be a simple explanation, I see this time everywhere, on my phone screen, on my watch or on a time note, on an email, or file creation etc etc etc. I looked it up on the squinternet (the internet for the sight impaired) and discovered that far from being alone, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people have the same condition - the numbers 11:11 being part of their life. Type anything into a search in Google and will be a very rare thing to have only 1000 results let alone One. Sitting quietly, on your own looking at a screen whilst searching for some obscurity or another you realise that you are one among many millions, looking and thinking about similar things. Synchronicity and zeitgeist reign supreme when you can see it all.


I have concerns about Google (other search engines are available) though, it occurred to me recently that this could be the most powerful form of social engineering in this frightening modern world (I should explain I may be a little bit of a conspiracy theorist). Example: if, as a 5 year-old I had asked for sausages at every meal but was never given them, in the end I may have just stopped asking because I knew that it would be a waste of breath and gradually the dream of a sausage would simply fade away, as something that I am never likely to experience and the longing may become more and more of a vague fuzzy desire. Does that make sense or is the Chemo squanching my brain? What I am trying to say is that what you ask for (in search terms) may be very far from what you get. I know, I know that's life, but can we all trust the machine to have our individual interests at heart? No, of course not. So in this modern world be mindful that it may not even be an puppet master manipulating your desires behind the scenes, it may be a new puppet if you are not sure what I am getting at research"deep mind" a recent Google acquisition.


FYI: The illustration is one of mine - with sincere apologies to Rene Magritte but I don't suppose he would have cared anyway.



Anyway, Google 11:11 - it'll blow your mind - or not. At the same time, remember thats it's always 11:11, somewhere.

PS: If this post rambles. let me know, I need taking in hand sometimes....

Comments

Popular Posts