Look for the gift

Four years old,  I escaped from the house and wandered straight out into the road where I was immediately hit by a tipper lorry exactly like the one pictured. The driver (and my mum of course) were in worse condition than I was. The driver said he had just tipped out, if he had been carrying a full load of hardcore he would have hit me a lot harder because of braking speed. Thank you.

As a graphic designer, or what we used to call Commercial Artist (which I prefer as being less restrictive) "looking for the gift" as the route to a solution to a specific design problem a a good working practice and recently, reluctantly I have also realised, a sound life philosophy.

Sometimes the gift is as clear as the light of day and others, buried so deep in the darkness that you daren't even believe.

This illness hit me like that truck, in slow motion over a number of months I was cartwheeling through the air, waiting to hit the ground with a crash. It's only now, almost a year on that I have realised how it has effected me in a positive way. The people closest to me (they know who they are) may be hurt by words like these, but that is the downside, you have to watch the ones you love explore fear and frustration at what you are going through. That is no fun for any of us. I am sorry about that, I wish I could have made it any other way.


Comments

Ronie said…
Don't ever be sorry. There absolutey has been a gift in all this.
Graeme said…
The gift is being blessed in having you as a good friend. Never be sorry or apologise. If I could drive as well as you write I would have been in Formula 1

Popular Posts