The Red Balloon

When I was a little boy, daytime TV was a rarity. Apart from Watch with Mother - which in my case was Watch Without Mother (she would be having five minutes to herself with a cup of tea and a Woman's Realm in the kitchen). But there were two films played regularly on TV that will always stick in my mind, Paddy Hopkirk's "Alpine Rally" with the red mini cooper, which I loved and "The Red Balloon". The latter was my favourite, I probably watched it 10 times or more over the years and everytime it enthralled me. I have always embued it with deeper meaning than perhaps it deserves, but I think in a way it helped to nudge me in the direction I have travelled ever since; a bit of a loner at times, always chasing something and looking for adventure (in a very small way I might add). It was always a joy to watch. Written, produced and directed by Albert Lamorisse, no dialog, so no subtitles, it is so French you can smell garlic and the pisoirs of Paris in every frame. The ending is literally uplifting, if you have seen the animated movie "UP" it owes at least one scene to this little masterpiece. Watch this, or excerpts on You Tube, it is delightful. One thing though, young man would have had less trouble catching the elusive balloon if he'd had a scooter!

Coincidentally the British Lung Foundation's logo is a red balloon. 

https://www.blf.org.uk

Comments

Popular Posts