If you want to get ahead...

...get a hat. - as they say.

I didn't think that I had a head for them, I have always loved a hat but they came into their own for me during my chemotherapy treatment, people are a lot kinder under these conditions, you don't get so many comments like "get that off your head you look ridiculous''.

The camouflaging effect was useful in preserving my vanity and to be fair keeping my bald head warm - didn't see that one coming, and it is fun experimenting with the shape they cut and the character they imbue.

Back when I was a teen hattist, Dunn & Co was the go to, but they are long gone, these days my favourite hat store is Gooring Brothers in the USA but there are plenty of online suppliers that sell superb "tit fer's", Gladwin Bond Hats for Newsboys (floppy caps) or Stetson if you have more money than sense and - if you are losing it - coonskins on furhatworld.com.... yowser!

Photo shows a collapsible short brim being prepped for me in the North Beach, San Francisco store, behatted jetsetter that I am.


Comments

Popular Posts