Sister Morphine

Here we are, sister morphine and I.

I must first apologise for the sparsity of blog entries, right now because of the various injuries and pains I have I can barely lift the mouse and even this blog has been dictated and that was hard enough.

I feel a bit like Prof Hawking, a man I greatly admire. I was invited by a very close friend another mentor, to see him perform a lecture in front of a hall full of boffins and brainboxes at the London University. These appeared to be people who were desperate for everyone to understand how deeply intelligent they were, especially the students. One young gun shot a thin pale arm in the air and proceeded to ask a question which was actually just diatribe on his personal view on a scientific subject: I cannot remember the content of the question suffice to say it went on for several minutes. There was an equal three or four minute pause in proceedings while prof Hawking compiled a comprehensive answer on his keyboard at the end which time he pressed return and well after the 10 second pause all we heard in that deadpan and instantly recognisable delivery was 'yes'. The room fell apart. it was joyous, Hawking is a great wit as well as a great man.

Back to the subject in hand

It's funny (another very close friend pointed this out this morning) as soon as the word morphine is mentioned everybody looks at you in a slightly different way. No big surprise you and they know what it's for, it is the angel on the battlefield, (it is a she by the way there is no doubt about that) and like most females, if you treat them right, can be a very good girl.

It has huge benefits in terms of pain control, but there is a price to pay in the case of people in the situation that I am now in that price is neither here nor there. The thought occurs to me right now to say thank you to all of the angels that have been by my side over the last few months:

From the respiratory nurses at Stoke Mandeville through to the hospice nurses at Rennie Groves and all of the other health professionals in between (and we are talking in the hundreds) who have looked after me all I can say is thank you and may I apologise on behalf of the rest of the human race who confuse the political spin that the NHS is in disarray with the fact that the NHS doesn't work. Well it flipping' well does and when you see it from this side of the fence, (hope you never have to) it works beautifully it is people working at their finest.

Rolling Stones explain here

Comments

Popular Posts